Rafael Nadal Drops Out Of 2024 US Open

Rafael Nadal has revealed he won't be participating in this year's US Open. He announced the news on Instagram.

The tournament is scheduled to take place between August 26th and September 8th. Nadal is a four-time US Open champion. He won the competition back in 2010, 2013, 2017, and 2019. 

He reflected on the "amazing memories" he has and said he will "miss those electric and special night sessions in NYC at Ashe.”

He does believe, however, that he won’t “be able to give [his] 100% this time.”

“Thanks to all my US Fans in particular, will miss you all and will see you another time. Best of lucks to all for the always amazing US Open!”


He told his fans his next event will be the Laver Cup, which is scheduled to take place in Berlin from September 20th to September 22nd. 

Nadal's announcement comes after he competed in the 2024 Olympics, representing Spain. Nadal, along with Carlos Alcaraz, lost the doubles quarterfinal match against Tallon Griekspoor and Wesley Koolhof from the Netherlands.

This came after his second-round loss in singles, where he competed against Novak Djokovic from Serbia. 

During his time in Paris, Nadal was asked about his participation in the US Open, to which he responded, "Looks like not. But I'm going to let you know soon. For me, now, I can't give you a clear answer. I need some time, but for me, [it] looks difficult."


Prior to his participation at the Olympics, Nadal joined Serena Williams, Zinedine Zidane, Tony Parker and others to light the Olympic cauldron during the opening ceremony. 

He has also recently withdrawn from the Monte Carlo Masters tournament, stating his "body simply won't allow" his participation.

Additionally, he has revealed a decision to retire may not be far away. 

“What put me in a position to be close to retirement is my body more than anything else because in my mind is healthy in terms of passion for what I'm doing. The main thing for me is stay more or less healthy. If that happens, then we can analyze in what position in terms of level I am.”

Last year, he revealed 2024 would be his last year on the tour, due to his hip surgery.

Comments

Popular Posts