Robert Irwin & Julia Morris Battle For Gold Logie

Robert Irwin has been nominated for a Gold Logie and revealed that when he got the call, he was in the middle of cleaning out a chicken coop. 

“I was cleaning my chicken coop when I got the call. I answered the phone, went, ‘No way!’, and immediately just called Julia. We were both just over the moon.”

Julia Morris has also been nominated and revealed that when she got the call, "I had this conservationist cleaning out my chicken coop. As an old chook, I felt this could do with a bit of a sweep….”

With both nominated for a Gold Logie, the two are currently on a publicity trail, thanks to I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. 

This is the only TV show to receive two nominations in the category, and is Julia's fourth nomination, and Robert'd first. 


Robert is also nominated for the Bert Newton Award for Most Popular Presenter. He also recently won the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Award for Aussie/Kiwi Legend of the Year. 

“It’s been amazing. It’s been a really wonderful, wonderful year.”

Robert is a replacement for Dr. Chris Brown, whose chemistry with Julia drove the success of I'm A Celebrity. 

The head of creative production and entertainment for I'm A Celebrity, Tamara Simoneau said, "He came for a chemistry test with Julia Morris and it honestly took seconds for people to go, ‘Oh wow, here’s our guy.'"

She revealed that once the two started interacting, "there was just no-one else in the race. He’s so good! He’s so authentic. He knows his stuff. He’s just a joy. He’s a bundle of joy to be around. Julia adores him. They have become such a fun duo already.”


Although Robert has appeared on TV since he was a toddler, this year became his rise to big time. 

“I’ve always grown up around it. But comedy is not a medium that I really had gotten into very much.”

“We had a really fun play off of that. And Julia, you were really kind and just said, ‘Oh, your timing with that joke, or the way you set that up, was just really, really funny’. And I went, ‘Oh, thanks so much, because I don’t do comedy. So that really means a lot coming from you.'”

Julia reminded Robert that “you’re hosting a primetime comedy show. You are doing comedy”.

“I went, ‘Hang on a minute! I actually am.' But how amazing that I get to learn and collaborate with one of the greatest comedians — and one of the most authentic human beings — that you just will ever meet. So I just feel like it’s a masterclass for me, honestly.”

Julia has revealed that Robert “already brought it to the table” and “came fully-formed” comedy-wise. She joked she was becoming “like a deep background actor who loves to whinge. That’s my special gift”.


“It always felt natural,” Robert said. “There was not a single hiccup. I think we both realised when we came into this, this is a collaboration. That’s what this is. We’re both learning together on this incredible new chapter. And it really was joining forces and creating something brand new that I don’t think the world had really seen before."

“You know, this is just uncharted territory. What an honour to get to do that with one another. It’s just so cool, you know?”

“I mean, we both just have such a wonderful respect and admiration for one. We’re both just so incredibly honoured. It’s just a real sense of excitement that you get to do something like [Gold Logie promotional duties] with someone that you just think the world of.”

“I’ve had this experience before by myself and it is a lonely, lonely old, ‘Oh, please, please vote for me’ experience, whereas Robert and I have got to do this together.

“And, I urge voters to send it Robert’s way. Listen, the fact that I’m 56 and still working, I’m happy as a lark.”

Comments

Popular Posts