Normani Reveals Reason Behind Last Minute BET Performance Cancellation

Normani has opened up regarding her cancelled BET Awards performance. 

She took to social media half an hour before the awards ceremony was scheduled to start and revealed a "really bad accident" forced her to cancel. 

“I am more frustrated and disappointed than anyone believe me. While in rehearsals for BET I had a really bad accident and injured myself. I am normally good for powering through under any circumstance but unfortunately due to my doctor’s orders, I am just not able to make this performance happen.”

She said despite her hopes, appearing onstage would have delayed "my healing and the decision left her "devastated." 


She proceeded to thank the BET Awards for providing her with the opportunity to take the stage.

“Sending my love to BET for giving me and all of the other beautiful black women this opportunity."

Normani also released her debut solo album recently, on June 14th. 

Following the Fifth Harmony hiatus in 2017, she released several singles. These included Motivation, Wild Side with Cardi B, and Waves. 

She revealed she was struggling to define herself as a solo artist. 


“For so long I feel like people got an idea of who I was in the entity of the group. Even within myself, I kind of got comfortable with that. So for me to kind of be detached from that has been an eye-opener for me and, like I said on the stage, me finally being able to discover myself and just different things, different parts of me. There are so many different layers and so many different portions that I haven’t necessarily been able to tap into that I have been introduced to, so it’s really, really cool. It’s like the sky is the limit.”

Back in 2018, Fifth Harmony, which also consisted of Ally Brooke, Lauren Jauregui and Dinah Jane, officially parted ways.

In April this year, Normani revealed her anxiety towards releasing Dopamine was because she needed absolute confidence in the project. 


She also opened up about why the album had been delayed.

“I feel like it’s just been a combination of changing teams and people coming and going and also just real life happening that I couldn’t have predicted, and just doing my best to navigate that." 

“Both my parents had gotten really, really sick, and I’ve had just a lot of deaths pretty much back to back in such a short time frame."

Back in 2020, Normani’s mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and her father was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

“I think people kind of forget that I am a human being. Granted, I’m really grateful that everybody’s remained really excited. I feel like that’s unheard of, especially after such a long duration of time.”

Comments

Popular Posts