Meryl Streep & Don Gummer Separated Over Six Years Ago, And No One Knew

Meryl Streep and husband Don Gummer have separated after 45 years of marriage. However it was revealed they had already been separated for six years.

“Don Gummer and Meryl Streep have been separated for more than 6 years, and while they will always care for each other, they have chosen lives apart."

Their last public appearance together was at the 2018 Academy Awards, where Meryl was honoured with her 21st Oscar nomination.

They first met in 1978, after they were introduced by Meryl's brother. They were married six months later, and welcomed four children, Henry (43), Mamie (40), Grace (37), and Louisa (32).


They kept their relationship private, but Meryl knew what it was that made it successful.

“Goodwill and willingness to bend — and to shut up every once in a while. There’s no road map on how to raise a family: It’s always an enormous negotiation. But I have a holistic need to work and to have huge ties of love in my life. I can’t imagine eschewing one for the other.”

Don was often Meryl's top supporter, and after she won an Oscar in 2021, for 'The Iron Lady,' he was the first that she addressed in her speech.

“I’m going to thank Don because when you thank your husband at the end of the speech they play him out with the music, and I want him to know that everything I value most in our lives, you’ve given me."

They were also united raising their children, and Meryl was often "bad cop" to Don's "good cop."


“Teamwork is everything. My husband Don was very involved. He was a little more relaxed when it comes to raising kids. I was more of a tiger mom. When my son Henry was little, he wanted to learn to play the piano but the teacher we hired was not very good, and Henry lost interest. I thought he should continue to take lessons, but my husband thought it was my dream that I was trying to impose on him. Today, my son is 37 and he’s a musician. Tiger Mom Meryl was right.”

She added she was "too protective" of her children, as they needed "to learn to stand on their own two feet.” The two are also grandparents to four.

Comments

Popular Posts