Suzanne Somers Dead At Age 76

TV personality, known for 'Three's Company' and 'Step by Step,' Suzanne Somers has died at the age of 76, just before her 77th birthday.

She passed away after a long battle with breast cancer.

“Suzanne Somers passed away peacefully at home in the early morning hours of October 15th. She survived an aggressive form of breast cancer for over 23 years."

“Suzanne was surrounded by her loving husband Alan, her son Bruce, and her immediate family. Her family was gathered to celebrate her 77th birthday on October 16th. Instead, they will celebrate her extraordinary life, and want to thank her millions of fans and followers who loved her dearly.”


In a separate statement, it was revealed the “beautiful house” Somers spent her final moments in “one of her dreams.”

“There were all these plans and she was always working and dreaming and had brought her family into the business, and the grandchildren and step-children were all part of the business." She was “very engaged right to the end.”

A private family burial will take place this week, and a memorial will be held in November.

Before her birthday, Suzanne said she was looking forward to spending the special day with her loved ones.

She noted she was planning to be with her “nearest and dearest” on her birthday, including her "beloved husband Alan [Hamel], our three children, Leslie, Stephen, and Bruce, [his wife] Caroline, plus our six wonderful grandchildren.”


Alan proceeded to praise Suzanne's resilience.

“Suzanne and I just returned home from the Midwest where Suzanne had six weeks of intensive physical therapy. Even after our five decades together, I still marvel at Suzanne’s amazing determination and commitment.”

In July, Suzanne, very openly shared her breast cancer had returned for the first time since her original diagnosis in 2000.

"As you know, I had breast cancer two decades ago, and every now and then it pops up again, and I continue to bat it down. I have used the best alternative and conventional treatments to combat it. This is not new territory for me. I know how to put on my battle gear and I’m a fighter."

She also expressed gratitude for how much Alan and her family have supported her.

"Alan has been by my side every step of the way. I can’t even explain how much he has done for me. If it’s even possible, we are even closer than ever. My incredible family has been so supportive, and have helped so much by keeping the business running so you can still have access to all the wonderful products. Thank you for the continued love and support. It’s only about who you love and who loves you - and I love you!"


She was known for playing Chrissy Snow on 'Three's Company' from 1977 to 1981, and Carol Foster Lambert on 'Step by Step' from 1991 to 1998,

Additionally, she starred as Sheriff Hildy Granger in 'She's the Sheriff' from 1987 to 1989.

She also penned over 25 books, and was a New York Times best seller.

She is survived by her "blended family," including Alan, her son Bruce (57), her stepchildren Stephen and Leslie, and her six children.

Many stars have been paying tribute to the gorgeous superstar Suzanne was, including Khloe Kardashian, Andy Cohen, and more.

Khloe Kardashian said: This one hurts my heart. I love you @suzannesomers. I’ll never forget your positive loving outlook on life. Your sweet heart and gentle spirit! Rest, dance, smile in paradise…”

Andy Cohen posted an old photo of them together with several red heart emojis.


Caitlyn Jenner said: "We lost a true American Icon today. @suzannesomers you will be missed. It was always a pleasure and a riot working with you over the years! Here we are way back in the 70’s at Pepperdine with Howard! Rest in Peace."

Bethenny Frankel said "I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know her. She is a force, she is groundbreaking, she is love. She was married to her soulmate, best friend, they were inseparable. She’s a family person, she’s about research and fighting for what she believes in when that takes tremendous courage and it’s not popular. Wow, I really, really, really had so much respect for her…what a wonderful person. I’m so so sorry. Sorry to Suzanne’s family.”

Alongside a broken heart emoji, Olivia Munn reshared a black and white photo of Somers.

Viola Davis said, "RIP Suzanne Somers. I grew up watching Three’s Company. You were a joy and forever young. Rest well ❤🕊🙏🏿.”

Jeremy Renner reshared a post of Somers with the text “RIP” and the folded hands emoji.

"Sad so sad," Goldie Hawn commented.

Adam Carolla said he was "devastated" to hear the news, calling her "a true icon and overall amazing human being. You will be greatly missed, my friend."


Fran Drescher said: The heaviness of this past week's horrors just got worse with the loss of friend Suzanne Somers. Life is very hard, wherever we can bring joy, love, empathy and kindness as we move thru each day, do it! RIP dear Suzanne, you will long be remembered."

Kathy Griffin said Somers was a "real pal and 'connector. She loved connecting people with one another," she said calling a "pioneer regarding equal pay for actresses in situations where the man got substantially more salary than the woman.”

When Morgan Fairchild underwent a health crisis involving black mold that caused her to become sick and gain weight, Suzanne was there for her.

"When we ran into each other, she would lean over & whisper, 'We're survivors!'"

Megyn Kelly said Somers "beamed kindness and beauty and love."

Sandra Lee remembered her as "kind and generous, fun and funny," and shared that "just a few weeks ago [she] was giving me advice on doctors and longevity."


"I will miss her so! God speed, my friend. Thank you for your grace, kindness and beautiful life example. Will love you always!"

ABC News correspondent Deborah Roberts said: "How sad to hear that actress and uber businesswoman Suzanne Somers has died. She was going to turn 77 tomorrow. She had fought breast cancer for more than 2 decades. Will never forget her 'Chrissy' in the hit show Three’s Company."

Just before her death, Alan wrote Suzanne a poem, which she read that night before she "died peacefully in her sleep."

The poem read in all caps, “LOVE I USE IT EVERY DAY, SOMETIMES SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. I USE IT AT THE END OF EMAILS TO MY LOVING FAMILY. I EVEN USE IT IN EMAILS TO CLOSE FRIENDS. I USE IT WHEN I’M LEAVING THE HOUSE.”

“THERE’S LOVE, THEN LOVE YOU AND I LOVE YOU!! THEREIN LIES SOME OF THE DIFFERENT WAYS WE USE LOVE. SOMETIMES I FEEL OBLIGED TO USE LOVE, RESPONDING TO SOMEONE WHO SIGNED LOVE IN THEIR EMAIL, WHEN I’M UNCOMFORTABLE USING LOVE BUT I USE IT ANYWAY.”

“I ALSO USE LOVE TO DESCRIBE A GREAT MEAL. I USE IT TO EXPRESS HOW I FEEL ABOUT A SHOW ON NETFLIX. I OFTEN USE LOVE REFERRING TO MY HOME, MY CAT GLORIA, TO THINGS GLORIA DOES, TO THE TASTE OF A CANTALOUPE I GREW IN MY GARDEN. I LOVE THE TASTE OF A FRESHLY HARVESTED ORGANIC ROYAL JUMBO MEDJOOL DATE. I LOVE BITING A FIG OFF THE TREE. I LOVE WATCHING TWO GIANT BLACKBIRDS WHO LIVE NEARBY SWOOPING BY MY WINDOW IN A POWER DIVE. MY DAILY LIFE ENCOMPASSES THINGS AND PEOPLE I LOVE AND THINGS AND PEOPLE I AM INDIFFERENT TO.”


“I COULD GO ON AD INFINITUM, BUT YOU GET IT. WHAT BRAND OF LOVE DO I FEEL FOR MY WIFE SUZANNE? CAN I FIND IT IN ANY OF THE ABOVE? A RESOUNDING NO!!!! THERE IS NO VERSION OF THE WORD THAT IS APPLICABLE TO SUZANNE AND I EVEN USE THE WORD APPLICABLE ADVISEDLY.”

“THE CLOSEST VERSION IN WORDS ISN’T EVEN CLOSE. IT’S NOT EVEN A FRACTION OF A FRACTION OF A FRACTION. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE DOES NOT DO IT. I’LL TAKE A BULLET FOR YOU DOESN’T DO IT. I WEEP WHEN I THINK ABOUT MY FEELINGS FOR YOU. FEELINGS… THAT’S GETTING CLOSE, BUT NOT ALL THE WAY.”

“55 YEARS TOGETHER, 46 MARRIED AND NOT EVEN ONE HOUR APART FOR 42 OF THOSE YEARS. EVEN THAT DOESN’T DO IT. EVEN GOING TO BED AT 6 O’CLOCK AND HOLDING HANDS WHILE WE SLEEP DOESN’T DO IT. STARING AT YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE WHILE YOU SLEEP DOESN’T DO IT.”


“I’M BACK TO FEELINGS.  THERE ARE NO WORDS. THERE ARE NO ACTIONS. NO PROMISES. NO DECLARATIONS. EVEN THE GREEN SHADED SCHOLARS OF THE OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS HAVE SPENT 150 YEARS AND STILL HAVE FAILED TO COME UP WITH THAT ONE WORD. SO I WILL CALL IT, ‘US’, UNIQUELY, MAGICALLY, INDESCRIBABLY WONDERFUL ‘US.’”

Comments

Popular Posts