Skip to main content

Sinéad O’Connor Dead at Age 56

Superstar and music icon Sinéad O'Connor has passed away at the age of 56, her family confirming the news.

"It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time."

No cause of death has been revealed, however police say it's not being treated as suspicious.

Her music career spanned over 10 studio albums, one with hit song 'Nothing Compares 2 U.'

Her passing comes just over a year since the passing of her 17 year old son Shane, who died in hospital after he was reported missing.


"My beautiful son, Nevi'im Nesta Ali Shane O'Connor, the very light of my life, decided to end his earthly struggle today and is now with God. May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. My baby. I love you so much. Please be at peace."

Sinéad was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1966, and began her music career in the 80s, forming a band with Colm Farrelly. Her debut solo album, 'The Lion and the Cobra' was released in 1987.

Her album 'I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got' earned her a worldwide fanbase, with the lead single 'Nothing Compares 2 U' becoming a hit, later named the number one single of 1990 in several countries.

She received many accolades including Grammy nominations for the single, and for her VHS 'Year of the Horse.'


She also had a career full of controversy, especially during a 1992 SNL performance where she tore a photo of Pope John Paul II to pieces protesting against the Catholic Church, making comments about sexual abuse cases three years later.

She stood by her actions in her memoir 'Rememberings' from 2021.

"Everyone wants a pop star, see? But I am a protest singer. I just had stuff to get off my chest. I had no desire for fame."

She has also been open about her mental health struggles, sharing she was dignosed with bipolar disorder and had attempted suicide of her 33rd birthday, and had suffered a mental breakdown, brought on by one her children suffering from an illness and the effects of undergoing a hysterectomy.


"Angry, raging, I was furious. I was completely gone. I was suicidal. Nobody could deal with me. I was isolated and alone. I'd be looking at them, thinking, what the hell are they all frightened of?"

She was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in Dublin in 2016. "Thank God I spent a lot of the last six years there, because otherwise I wouldn't be alive."

"If I've managed to have a shower or I've managed to clean the house, I'll say to myself: ‘You've achieved a lot today, that was great.' But I don't do it looking in the mirror. Now and again I'll give myself a kiss in the mirror or say, you f--ing rock! I think I'm good now. But I'm not stupid enough to think I won't have relapses. I'm not stupid enough to think I won't end up in hospital again. I'm a recovering abuse survivor and it's a life's work."

Before her death, she even expressed desire to embrace music again.


"Hi All, recently moved back to London after 23 years absence. Very happy to be home. Soon finishing my album. Release early next year. Hopefully touring Australia and New Zealand toward end 2024. Europe, USA and other territories beginning early 2025."

She is survived by her three children, Jake (34), Roisin (28) and Yeshua (16).

Many stars across the world are mourning her death too, sharing touching tributes.


Keep scrolling to see the tributes:

P!nk and Brandi Carlile

The two honoured her by performing 'Nothing Compares 2 U' together during Pink’s show in Cincinnati, Ohio.

“When I was a little girl … I used to go down to the Ocean City boardwalk with my 10 dollars and I would make a demo tape. And it would always be either ‘Greatest Love of All’ by Whitney Houston or ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ by Sinead O’Connor," said P!nk.


Russell Crowe

“There under streetlights with mist on my breath, I met Sinéad. She looked in my eyes, and uttered with disarming softness ‘Oh, it’s you Russell.’ She came with us back to the table and sat in the cold and ordered a hot tea. In a conversation without fences we roamed through the recent Dublin heatwave, local politics, American politics, the ongoing fight for indigenous recognition in many places, but particularly in Australia, her warm memory of New Zealand, faith, music, movies and her brother the writer. I had the opportunity to tell her she was a hero of mine.”

“When her second cup was taking on the night air, she rose, embraced us all and strode away into the fog-dimmed streetlights. We sat there the four of us and variously expressed the same thing. What an amazing woman. Peace be with your courageous heart Sinéad.”


Florence Pugh

“Gutting. A great one has left us. I only hope she’s gone in peace and love and is with her own loved ones. Thank you for everything you gave us.”


Aisling Bea

“How desperately sad the loss of Sinéad O’Connor is. For music and Ireland. I did the Late Late Show with her a few years ago, a classic Irish lineup of all sorts of us, but I’d like to think including some women making their own paths in their worlds and not ones likely to be told to be quiet. She was an absolute hero of mine and one of the few people I’ve ever been star struck by. I think she could tell because I became a chatty mess. She was dry and funny and kind and sharp and incredibly gentle.”


Bryan Adams

“RIP Sinéad O'Connor, I loved working with you making photos, doing gigs in Ireland together and chats, all my love to your family."


Piers Morgan

“RIP Sinéad. Wondrously gifted singer, and fiercely intelligent, highly amusing, complex, uncompromising, provocative woman with many demons. Knew her for 35 years & we had some ferocious spats but also some great Guinness-fuelled make-ups. She was a unique character. Sad day. 💔.”


Tori Amos

“Sinéad was a force of nature. A brilliant songwriter & performer whose talent we will not see the like of again. Such passion, such intense presence & a beautiful soul, who battled her own personal demons courageously. Be at peace dear Sinéad, you will forever be in our hearts.”


Mayim Bialik

“Remembering the Iconic Sinéad O’Connor 💔. Her music changed the industry and her fierce fearlessness made a tremendous impression on my teenage years. She was ahead of her time in so many ways and gone far too soon. Rest in power, Sinéad O’Connor. 🕊️


Olivia Wilde

“I wanted to force a conversation where there was a need for one; that is part of being an artist."


Ice T

“Respect to Sinéad …  She stood for something … Unlike most people… Rest Easy…🙏🏽."


Rosie O’Donnell

“Just heartbroken 💔— rip u brave warrior woman — soar with ur son."


Jeffrey Dean Morgan

“Sad to hear about Sinéad O’Connor passing. Her story … if you don’t know it? Take a minute. May she rest in peace.”


Conor McGregor

“What a Woman! Rest In Peace, Sinéad 🙏❤️🇮🇪. The world has lost an artist with the voice of an Angel. Ireland has lost an iconic voice and one of our absolute finest, by a long shot. And I have lost a friend. Sinead’s music will live on and continue to inspire! Rest In Peace, Sinead you are home with your son I am sure ❤️🙏.”


Questlove

“Heartbreaking man. One of the nicest humans. Damn man. This is devastating.”


Melissa Etheridge

“This is such a tragedy. What a loss. She was haunted all her life. What a talent. I remember my first Grammy show meeting this small shy Irish girl.”


Margo Price

“I hope Sinéad O’Connor finds the peace she’s been seeking. I’ll never forget watching her rip up a photograph of [the] Pope on SNL in an act of protest against sex abuse in the Catholic Church and thinking, what a badass. Way ahead of her time and gone too soon. 💔.”


E.L. James

“Tragic news. Sinéad O'Connor was a courageous woman. May she rest in peace.”


Eric Alper

“I worked with Sinead O'Connor for several albums but adored her from the start. I have always said this when someone passes, but I mean it more than ever: May she rest in peace. She deserves it, wanted it, strived for it and could never achieve it. I will miss her greatly.”


Sky Ferreira

She posted a broken heart emoji alongside a photo of an old magazine article about the star.


Tim Burgess

“Sinead was the true embodiment of a punk spirit. She did not compromise and that made her life more of a struggle. Hoping that she has found peace x.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ‘Frasier’ Reboot Has Arrived!

'Frasier' has come back, 30 years after the debut of the original series.  The Paramount+ revival dropped its first two episodes on October 12th, and while Kelsey Grammer’s Dr. Crane is front, center and back, he’s the only character to return. Despite stars David Hyde Pierce (Niles Crane), Peri Gilpin (Roz Doyle) and Jane Leeves (Daphne Moon) not retuning, the new episodes have new personalities to shake up Dr. Crane’s life. The revival follows Frasier moving from Seattle back to Boston to reconnect with his son, Freddy, and accept a teaching job at Harvard University. Keep reading for a full guide on the new characters: Freddy Crane Played by Jack Cutmore-Scott, Freddy is a firefighter who dropped out of Harvard and has a fractured and contentious relationship with Frasier. Jack is an actor from London and has had major roles in 'Kingsman: The Secret Service,' 'Deception' and 'Tenet. Alan Cornwall Nicholas Lyndhurst portrays Alan, Frasier’s old college fri

Surfer Mikala Jones Dead at 44

Professional surfer Mikala Jones has died following a freak surfing accident at the age of 44. His daughter broke the news.  It was revealed he was surfing along the coast of the Mentawai Islands while staying in Indonesia, when a surfboard fin severed his femoral artery from a 10cm wound inside his left groin. Isabella (his daughter) shared a meaningful tribute. “I’m in so much disbelief right now, this doesn’t feel real. I love you so much dad and I wish I could give you one last hug. I wish I could tell you again how much I love you and thank you for being the best dad. I wish you were still here with us, you weren’t supposed to leave yet. This is too soon.” “I know you are in a good place now with nana vi, and your friends. I wish this never happened and we could just wake up and go surf together tomorrow morning." “I’m not sure how to put this in words, but my dad got into a bad surfing accident and didn’t make it. I'm happy he was doing what he loved the most. Life will

See The Best Red Carpet Looks of 2023 So Far

The stars of Hollywood NEVER miss a moment to shine in some fabulous fashion choices.  Keke Palmer started the year in a sequin Michael Kors Collection gown, featuring a plunging neckline and sexy cutouts at the sides, attending the New York Film Critics Circle Awards on January 4th. She paired the look with a dainty choker with he styled in Senegalese twists. La La Anthony let everyone know pewter looks will dominate the next 12 months, stepping out in a silver off the shoulder dress by Vivienne Westwood for the BMF season 2 premiere on January 5th. It featured a gathered design at the waist and thick straps. She paired it with coordinating nail polish and had her hair half up, half down. Janelle Monáe delivered in tulle at the National Board of Review Awards on January 8th, sporting a black Valentino gown featuring princess-like sleeves and a billowing skirt. It was finished with a cutout at the bodice lined with crystals. Monáe paired it with a polished updo and a black headband.  T