Jane Birkin Dies At Age 76

British-born singer, actress and fashion icon Jane Birkin has passed away at the age of 76.

Her cause of death is not yet known, but it has been reported she had been plagued with health issues, including a stroke in 2021, and a broken shoulder blade earlier this year.

She was born in London, finding fame in France when she moved to work on the movie 'Slogan' at age 20. On set, she met and coupled up with actor and singer-songwriter Serge Gainsbourg.

Later that year, the two collaborated on Jane's most well-known song 'Je T'Aime... Moi Non Plus,' translating to 'I Love You... Me Neither.'

In an interview in 2006, she reflected on her public relationship with Serge.


“He and I became the most famous of couples in that strange way because of ‘Je t'aime’ and because we stuck together for 13 years. And he went on being my friend until the day he died. Who could ask for more? So Paris became my home. I've been adopted here.”

She later became a fashion icon in France in the 1960s and 70s, inspiring the creation of the Birkin bag by Hermès.

“They like my accent [and] when I came here the skirts were shorter than anyone else's. Everyone at home was wearing just the same as me. I was the lucky one because I got here first so they thought it was my fashion.”

Her youngest daughter Lou Doillon said she now "represents a very Parisian styler - which is funny because she's not."

Jane is survived by Lou (40) and daughter Charlotte Gainsbourg (51).

Her daughter Kate Barry passed in 2013 at the age of 46.


Jane had also made a name for herself starring in several iconic films, including 'The Blow-Up' (1966), 'Death on the Nile' (1978), and 'Evil Under the Sun' (1982).

She made her directorial debut in 2007 with 'Boxes.'

French president Emmanuel Macron lauded her in a tribute saying, "Because she embodied freedom, because she sang the most beautiful words of our language, Jane Birkin was a French icon.”

“A complete artist, her voice was as sweet as her engagements were fiery. She bequeaths us tunes and images that will never leave us.”


Comments

Popular Posts