Alan Arkin Dead At Age 89

Academy award winner, Alan Arkin, known for his triumphs in film and television over 70 years, has passed away at the age of 89.

His sons Adam, Matthew and Anthony confirmed the news. "Our father was a uniquely talented force of nature, both as an artist and a man. A loving husband, father, grand and great grandfather, he was adored and will be deeply missed."

He began his career in 1957, debuting with a small role in 'Calypso Heat Wave.' He then went on to appear in 50 films by 2006, when he starred in 'Little Miss Sunshine,' earning him an Academy award for Best Supporting Actor.

In 2021, former costar Abigail Breslin recalled how much of a guide Alan was to her. She was 10 years old at the time of filming with him.


"It's so funny because I was remembering that when I did Little Miss Sunshine, I had to listen to headphones in the scene, and I was actually listening to music because Alan Arkin—there's a scene where there's some language that I cannot repeat on television—but, Alan was very, very, like, not comfortable having me listen to it."

"So he would always check to make sure that I had the headphones on and was actually listening to music. So, I was listening to the Breakaway album. I'm listening to, like, 'You Found Me.'"

During his career, starred in over 80 movies and landed over 20 television shows, and was was a recipient of a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe, two SAG Awards, and a Tony Award.

Back in 2020, he opened up about taking roles later in life, such as 'The Kominsky Method.'


"I still have threads that connect me. "I'm like a horse going down the trail. Acting is so ingrained in my physiognomy and the channels of my brain that I find myself missing aspects of the business. But I don't need it any more. I should probably get over it."

He also found comfort in the simple things in life.

"Living in silence. Looking at the garden. Having a relationship with trees and flowers and the sky. That's what's profound to me now."


Comments

Popular Posts