K-Pop Star Dead Following Cancer Scam

K-Pop star Choi Sung-Bong has died at the age of 33 due to suicide, following being exposed for running a viral cancer scam. 

He was discovered at his home, and it was ruled he had taken his own life due to undisclosed circumstances. He had uploaded a note to YouTube the day before.

The note saw his apologising “to all who suffered from my foolish mistake.”

In this, he was referring to a highly publicised scandal that exposed him for falsely claiming he had cancer, and soliciting donations to fund treatment.


He is most known for appearing on the 2011 season of 'Korea's Got Talent," receiving a spot in the finals, singing Ennio Morricone's 'Nella Fantasia.'

He ended up in second place, behind dancer Joo Min-Jung.

Footage of his performance blew up online, gaining him praise from icons including Justin Bieber.

“This is awesome. Never say never, and good luck to this kid. Great story.”

He was signed to Korean label Bong Bong Company, and had penned a memoir about his transformation from orphan to internet celebrity.

In 2021, he ended up under scrutiny for the fundraising campaign, to which he claimed to be suffering from multiple forms of cancer, which was revealed as a hoax.


“Looking back, since I was young, I tried my best to enjoy a normal life, like every day for 10 years, but in the end, I’m sorry. I have no regrets about the journey of life that I have lived brilliantly. I have lived to the best of my ability and tried to have happiness every day.”

“I am sincerely sorry to the many people who have been harmed because of me … I’m sorry to the many people who helped me.”

He had also claimed to have returned all donations.


His death also follows a bunch of suspected suicides by Korean celebrities in the last few years.

South Korean singer Moonbin from K-Pop group Astro, was found dead by apparent suicide in April, and in August last year, South Korean actress Yoo Joo-Eun died of suspected suicide, after composing a note apologising to her family, insisting she lived a "happy life that was more than I deserved."

Comments

Popular Posts