Elizabeth Holmes Begins 11-Year Prison Sentence

Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes is facing the music, as she reported to prison on May 30th to start her 11.25 year sentence behind bars, six months after the sentencing.

She was sentenced for her role in the fraud case involving her blood testing company. 

She is currently in custody at a women's prison camp in Bryan, Texas.

Elizabeth was found guilty of one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and three counts of wire fraud in January last year, after allegedly deceiving Theranos investors.


"The guilty verdicts in this case reflect Ms. Holmes' culpability in this large scale investor fraud and she must now face sentencing for her crimes," U.S. Attorney Stephanie Hinds said in a statement after the trial. "I thank the jurors for their thoughtful and determined service that ensured verdicts could be reached."

At this time, Elizabeth had been found not guilt of the second count of conspiracy and there was no verdict on three more counts of wire fraud.

Theranos was initially touted for its alleged finger prick blood testing method, making headlines after not performing as expected.

Elizabeth was also accused of making "numerous misrepresentations" about the company.


This fallout has since become the subject of books. documentaries and a TV series called 'The Dropout,' which stars Amanda Seyfried as Elizabeth.

"I was told [Holmes] wasn't gonna watch it," Amanda said, "that it was bad news, and that she didn't want any part of it. I don't know if it's totally true. Who knows? I'm a little skeptical of any information that comes my way."

A few weeks before starting her sentence, Elizabeth reflected on this.


"I made so many mistakes and there was so much I didn't know and understand, and I feel like when you do it wrong, it's like you really internalize it in a deep way."

"How would you spend your time if you didn't know how much time you had left? It would be the kind of things we're doing now because they're perfect. Just being together."

Comments

Popular Posts