Alyson Stoner Fired After Coming Out As Queer

Alyson Stoner has revealed they were fired from a children's show after they came out as queer. 

"There were other pressures and considerations for me to be public. I felt like ‘OK, I wanna do this.' But I spoke to my managers about it, who happened to be Christians, and so I was like, ‘OK, I know that there's a potential risk here.'"

Now using they/them pronouns, the star noted their manager "was very loving and supporting" at the time.

They said he was "helpful in me understanding that there are risks if I do this, it's totally my choice, but it could affect not only people's perceptions but also, like, hireability for jobs."


Alyson has already written about their experience falling in love with a woman in a Teen Vogue essay, and noted their career was impacted by the decision.

"I did end up getting fired from a children's show, because they felt that I was unsafe now that they knew I was queer to be around kids. So, there was definitely discrimination there, but the beauty far outweighs the hate comments and death threats."

Alyson first appeared in the spotlight, dancing in Missy Elliott's 'Work It' music video in 2002, then they went on to appear on Disney Channel on shows and movies including 'Drake & Josh,' 'That's So Raven,' 'The Suite Life of Zack & Cody,' 'Camp Rock,' and 'Phineas and Ferb.'

Years later they declared, "I, Alyson, am attracted to men, women, and people who identify in other ways. I can love people of every gender identity and expression. It is the soul that captivates me. It is the love we can build and the goodness we can contribute to the world by supporting each other's best journeys."


Days later they noted the experience was a "little bit scary" because of the "sense of unknown."

"I've had a very long career of being conservative. I am still who I am. I am just being more honest and more truthful."

They have even been candid about the "harrowing" side of being a former child star recently.

Comments

Popular Posts