Tom Holland Reveals He's One Year Sober

Tom Holland has revealed his latest role took a toll on him, and spoke out about how his work in 'The Crowded Room' caused him to look into his mental health.

He revealed that he has been sober for one year and four months. 

"Learning about mental health and the power of it, and speaking to psychiatrists about Danny and Billy's struggles, has been something that has been so informative to my own life."

Danny and Billy are characters in 'The Crowded Room.'



This new Apple TV+ series also stars Amanda Seyfried, Emmy Rossum and Sasha Lane. It follows Tom's character who ends up arrested after a shooting at Rockefeller in 1979.  Tom has explained how the work was helpful for "recognising triggers" and "things that stress {him} out."

He has spoken about social media is one of these things and how he is needing to take a step back.

Last year, Tom advised he was taking a social media break due to mental health. 

"There is an awful stigma against mental health and I know that asking for help and seeking help isn't something we should be ashamed of."

Tom also thought about the possibility of exploring a different avenue than his roles in 'Uncharted' and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.



"I've spent so long playing Nathan Drake and playing Spider-Man, who are characters that you can really depend on, people you feel safe around, and, ultimately, people that feel really capable. I really enjoyed playing Danny in those earlier episodes where I was able to lean into my more vulnerable side."

Although, he did end up digging so deep he couldn't differentiate between himself and his character.

"I was seeing myself in him, but in my personal life. I remember having a bit of a meltdown at home and thinking, like, 'I'm going to shave my head. I need to shave my head because I need to get rid of this character.'"

He said it was unlike "anything {he'd} ever experienced before."

Comments

Popular Posts