Anderson Cooper's Mum Offered To Be His Surrogate At 85

 

CREDIT: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Over two years after his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt's death, Anderson Cooper has opened up about the extremities his mother was prepared to go to help him become a father.

While appearing on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, the TV journalist revealed his mother offered to be a surrogate for him at 85-years-old.

While calling her "kind of nutty," he continued to reveal she went as far as to see a gynecologist who confirmed she could carry a child despite her age.

"She says to me, 'Honey, I'm not talking about having a child of my own. I mean, that's crazy, I'm 85...I was thinking, you get an egg and fertilise it with a sperm, and I'll carry your child. I finally said to her, I was like, 'Mum, I love you, but even for you, that is just bats**t crazy. That is just nuts. ' That is so weirdly oedipal on a whole new level. That kid would be on the cover of The New York Post or the rest of its life."

Anderson made it very clear he wasn't keen on the idea. Gloria though, went one step further and tried to show him she would be available if he changed his mind.

CREDIT: CNN/YouTubeTV

"Then, fast forward two years later, I get a thing in the mail that my mum has sent me...and it's a newspaper clipping and it's a photograph, the headline is, 'Grandmother Bears Child for Son,' and it's some woman, I think in Italy who was like 65 or something, or 70. And it's a photo of her in the labour room in the stirrups. She's in the delivery room with her legs in the thing, and her son and his husband are right there, ready to catch. And my mum has circled it, and written in a note, 'See!'"

Anderson and ex Benjamin Maisani welcomed son Wyatt in April 2020, only months after his mother passed away.

They now co-parent the one year old together.

"I don't really have a family, so my friends have become my family. This is somebody I was involved with for 10 years. He's a great guy. We didn't work out as a couple but...if more people love my son and are in his life, I'm all for that. my ex is a great guy, and I think it's good to have two parents if you can."


CREDIT: J. Countess/Getty Images

Comments

Popular Posts