Photographer For Anthony Bourdain Explains Story Behind Viral Nude Photo

CREDIT: Alex Welsh/The New York Times/Redux Pictures

Recently, a revealing photo of Anthony Bourdain has resurfaced, posted on Vanity Fair's Instagram.

The caption on the post read, "Photographer @MelanieDunea shot one of the most indelible images ever taken of the late Anthony Bourdain, armed with a bone and a cigarette. "Neither of us had expected this image to become such a big deal," she writes for V.F. "Images have so much power and you can't control the interpretations.""

The picture showcases a completely nude Bourdain, holding a bone over his "naughty bits" and a cigarette in his left hand. You can view the image here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRy_H8YrZrM/

Melanie Dunea continues to write, "I didn't regret it, but I understood."


CREDIT: @Bourdain/Twitter

She described the fact that Anthony didn't want to appear at her book signings in fear of being seen and having to "sell" a naked picture of himself.

She shared an email she received from the celebrity chef regarding the image.

It read, "...And to be honest, I'm very wary of being seen to 'sell' naked pic of myself. No doubt, I'll be asked to comment numerous times and will of course, sing book's praises!"

Melanie continued, "His email reassured me. It seemed fair. And I shouldn't have been so surprised considering what he wrote in the introduction."

At the time Bourdain said, "I'm of two minds about my photograph. I do always joke that (as a comedian once suggested), 'I want to leave this world as I entered it: naked, screaming, and covered with blood,' but I think perhaps Melanie might have taken me too literally. I am sure we can all agree that it's probably not wise to make career decisions after four shots of tequila."   

CREDIT: Jim Cooper/AP/Shutterstock

A new documentary about Anthony being released comes along with the sharing of the picture. 

The documentary is called Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain.

Sadly, Anthony passed away by suicide in June, 2018. Most know him from hosting Parts Unknown, a travel series, and the author of many books including Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly.

Comments

Popular Posts