Novak Djokovic Chooses Not To Play, Ash Barty Handed Medal

CREDIT: News Corp Australia

Novak Djokovic has thrown his racquet into empty stands, and smashed another against a net pole after losing his cool while on the way to defeating Pablo Carreno Busta during the Olympics bronze medal match.

His hopes and dreams of the Golden Grand Slam have been dashed after his loss to Alexander Zverev and Pablo Carreno Busta. 

After an almost-three-hour setter, Australians Ash Barty and John Peers, were unexpectantly handed a bronze medal each after Djokovic decided he couldn't continue with the mixed doubles due to a left shoulder ailment.

CREDIT: Getty Images

His partner Nina Stojanovic was denied her chance to win an Olympic medal, while Ash Barty was awarded a medal after losing her first singles match and falling short during the doubles.

The ends up Australia's first tennis medal since Alicia Molik won a singles bronze in Athens in 2004.

Ash Barty has also spoken up about the strange occurrance. 

"It's what you dream of as a child being part of the Olympic Games but not just being here to make up the numbers."

"We came here to win a medal for our country. It has been a long time since a tennis team has brought home a medal for the Australian public and our country. It is exciting for us. We're rapt and we're going to enjoy tonight, enjoy tomorrow and soak it in over the next 24-48 hours."

"This was a tournament, an event we really earmarked at the start of the year wanting to do well. To share this moment with Johnny and both our families back home is incredible. I think we enjoy this one then reset and get ready for the American hardcourt season."

CREDIT: Dion Georgopoulos

Djokovic is now fully focused on the hardcourt swing considering he lost two straight singles matches for the first time since he was defeated by Dominic Thiem and Roger Federer at the ATP Tour Finals in 2019.

"The consequences physically hopefully will not create a problem for me for the US Open, but that's something that I'm not sure about right now."

"But I'm not regretting for giving it all because at the end of the day, when you play for your country, that's necessary."

The US Open begins next month, and Djokovic is determined to win the final leg of the Calendar Grand Slam. 

Pablo Carreno Busta also won against Daniil Medvedev earlier in the tournament.

CREDIT: 3aw.com.au

Carreno Busta wrapped up his victory once his opponent put a forehand into the net.

"I just didn't deliver yesterday and today. The level of tennis dropped, also due to exhaustion, mentally and physically," Djokovic continued.

"It was an emotional outburst and it happens. You're tense on the court, in the heat of the battle."

"It's not the first time and it's not the last time probably. It's not nice, of course, but it's part of, I guess, who I am."

"I don't like doing these things, I'm sorry for sending this kind of message, but we're all human beings and sometimes it's hard to control."

Djokovic's next chance to win at the Olympics will be in three years' time. He will be 37-years-old.

"I know that I will bounce back. I will try to keep going for Paris Olympic Games and fight for my country to win medals."

""I'm sorry that I disappointed a lot of sports fans in my country. But that's sport, I gave it all, whatever I had left in the tank, which was not so much. I left it out on the court."

 

Comments

Popular Posts