Emma McKeon Makes Olympic History For Australia

CREDIT: Reuters

Emma McKeon makes Olympic history as she becomes the joint-most decorated female athlete at a single Games.

On Sunday, Emma won gold in the 50-metres freestyle and 4x100m medley relay alongside Kaylee McKeown, Cate Campbell, and Chelsea Hodges.

Emma, only 27-years-old, has ended the Tokyo Games with seven medals.


CREDIT: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

The only other woman to win seven medals in any sport, in any Olympics, was Russian gymnast Maria Gorokhovskaya in 1952.

Emma, now having gained 11 Olympic medals during her career, is more than any other Australian.

She has surpassed Ian Thorpe's nine medals and Leisel Jones' nine medals.

Emma has said, "I'm so proud of myself. And I wouldn't be able to do it without all the support behind me. It's an honour to do this and I know I've worked hard for it."

CREDIT: Adam Pretty/Getty Images

During the Tokyo Olympics, Australian swimmers have walked away with nine gold medals. This surpasses the previous record of eight from the 1956 Melbourne Games.

The nation's benchmark has even been equalled since the 2008 Beijing Games, with Australia taking home three silver and eight bronze medals on top of the nine gold.

Emma has also made history becoming the first Australian to win four gold medals at a single Games.

Her three bronze also add to her collection from the 2016 Rio Olympics, where she won one gold, two silvers, and a bronze.

CREDIT: Adam Head

 

Comments

Popular Posts