Luke Combs Pays Funeral Cost After Tragedy of Faster Horses

CREDIT: David Bergman

In Jackson, Michigan, Luke Combs headlined the Faster Horses Festival on July 17th.

 Meeka Sova and Amy Satterthwaite, decided it was best not to crowd their sons, but to enjoy Luke's performance at the same time.

It wasn't until the next morning that the two had learned of their sons' deaths, along with their friend.

Kole Sova, Richie Mays Jr, and Dawson Brown passed away due to carbon monoxide poisoning inside a camper they were staying in at Lenawee County campground for the festival at Michigan International Speedway. Brown and Mays were 20, Sova was 19.

CREDIT: Jim Wright

On Thursday,  July 22nd, the three families received the most amazing news someone could have expected to hear during this time. Luke Combs had chosen to pay for each of the boys' funeral services.

Meeka Sova has spoken out about the freak accident saying, "They were kind of right next to us, so we weren't cramping their style, but we experienced Luke Combs together. It's just so surreal It's like, holy moly. For him to do that - I mean he doesn't know our boys - there's so many people there to watch him."

"For him to reach out and do that, I don't even have the words. I wish I could just give him a hug. Right now, through this hard time, it's hard to come up with words, but the hugs are what we feel. We definitely feel that awesome gesture."

CREDIT: grammy.com

For Satterthwaite, the knowledge that Luke has done this kind thing has made her "feel really good in a really bad situation."

The memory of her last concert with her son is already etched into her mind. It was sai the two held each other's hand as Luke closed out Friday's show.

"I know the boys - they're up there dancing around thinking it's probably really cool. For me, it's really special and probably from Meeka, too, because that was the last time we were with our boys was at the Luke Combs concert."

"It makes me feel really good. It feels like a sign - a really nice sign."

Luke's representative Asha Goodman has said that he hasn't wanted to make another comment regarding the donation.

CREDIT: Zack Massey

Brown's parents have yet to comment on the generosity of the country music star.

Rayfield Johnson and Kurtis Stitt were two others affected by the carbon monoxide poisoning. They are currently in hospital recovering and being treated for acute carbon monoxide poisoning.

Due to the generosity of the community around the families, a GoFundMe page has been created and has raised over $59,000 for the families. A good portion of this will go to help pay the medical bills of those recovering.

The families say they are overwhelmed with the support. Even the East Jackson Community Scholls community has reached out to support. This is where Kole Sova attended school at one point."I've lived in Michigan Center my whole life and a lot of these are my friends and the people I've grown up with. It is so amazing, the things they are doing and how they're able to pull all this off. We are so appreciative of everything that they're doing and continue to do," Satterthwaite said. 

The day after Meeka found out the sad news about her son, she heard a Luke Combs song playing on the radio as she was taking a shower.

"I turned on Pandora and I always listened to country but it was Jason Aldean station. The Luke Combs song came on and I was like, 'How weird is that?'"

We wish these families all of our condolences and hope they are able to move past this tragedy with time.

 

Comments

Popular Posts