Everything You Need To Know About Britney Spears' Conservatorship

CREDIT: KMAZUR Getty Images

For over 13 years, Britney Spears has been living under a conservatorship. This is a legal structure in which a person's legal, personal and economic decisions is surrendered to others. For Britney, these people included her father Jamie Spears. This arrangement was introduced for those who cannot take care of themselves.

Since Britney's conservatorship began, she has released four albums, performed for four years at a Las Vegas residency, and headlined a global tour that had an income of one hundred and thirty-one million dollars.

Her father Jamie, among others, have since been controlling her personal decision, spending and communications.

In April 2021, Britney appealed to have the conservatorship end. She wanted to discuss the terms of the arrangement made over 13 years ago. The hearing was scheduled for June 23rd, and most of Britney's team, who had little to no direct contact with her for years, didn't expect massive changes.

Two years beforehand, Jamie had stepped down from all of his duties overseeing Britney's life. Her team believed that Britney was fine with the conservatorship as long as her father wasn't involved, and that all she wanted was her father removed.
 

CREDIT: Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

A routine was even established about the running of her life. Every Thursday, at noon, around 10 people met to discuss Britney's life elements, including legal and business affairs, song-licence requests, and even her posts to Instagram and Twitter.

One member of her team stated, "This is how it works without her." According to her management, Britney writes her own posts and then submits them to a company called CrowdSurf, whose job is to handle all of her social media and upload the posts.

Any posts that raise legal questions have been deemed 'too sensitive' to upload. "She's not supposed to discuss the conservatorship," her team member stated.

The day before her hearing, according to a source close to Britney and to law enforcement in Ventura County, California, Britney had called 911 to report herself being a victim of conservatorship abuse.

Members of her team became frantic and nervous, starting to wonder what Britney might say at the hearing. During court on the 23rd of June, an attorney for the conservatorship, ordered Britney's transcripts sealed and the courtroom cleared. 

Britney, however, objected. "Somebody's done a good job at exploiting my life. I feel like it should be an open-court hearing - they should listen and hear what I have to say."

Britney, speaking on her own for the first time in years, was talking so fast that the judge had to interject repeatedly, asking her to slow down for accurate transcribing. "The people who did this to me should not get away. [Addressing the judge], Ma'am, my dad, and anyone involved in this conservatorship, and my management, who played a huge role in punishing me when I said no - Ma'am, they should be in jail."

The next twenty minutes of the hearing, Britney covered how she had been isolated, medicated, financially exploited, and emotionally abused. She blamed the California legal system, which according to Britney, allowed this to happen.

She made clear that she has previously tried to complain to the court, but was ignored. She said it made her "feel like I was dead, like I didn't matter." Britney wanted to share her story publicly, she stated, "instead of it being a hush-hush secret to benefit all of them. It concerns me I've been told I'm not allowed to expose the people who did this to me. All I want is to own my money, for this to end, and for my boyfriend to drive me in his fucking car."


CREDIT: harpersbazaar.com

A photographer who used to work for Britney in 2008 was at the hearing, watching the faces of the lawyers on the monitors. "As she spoke, I wanted to scream, and gasp, and shout 'What the fuck is going on?' But the lawyers had no reaction. They just sat there."

The conservatorship was first implemented by Britney's family due to having concerns about her mental health. Her family was divided due to money and fame, and Britney's rights ended up being stripped. She has since been fighting to get them back.

Britney, as a pop star, has gained an ongoing circle of managers, producers, agents, lawyers, assorted hangers-on, and publicists. A former friend of the Spears' family, Jacqueline Butcher, was present at the hearing and regrets her statement that helped secure the conservatorship. "At the time, I thought we were helping. And I wasn't, and I helped a corrupt family seize all this control."

Britney's mother Lynne spoke to a reporter recently about what was going on. She politely declined to answer detailed questions about the case, and said, "I got mixed feelings about everything. I don't know what to think...It's a lot of pain, a lot of worry. I'm good. I'm good at deflecting."

During the early days of Britney's conservatorship, while she was hospitalised, Britney contacted a lawyer named Adam Streisand. He represented her at a hearing, saying she had a "strong desire" that her father not be a conservator.

The judge ruled that Britney "had no capacity to retain an attorney." Britney then spoke with another lawyer named Jon Eardley, who then tried to move the case to federal court. The conservatorship lawyers stated that "Britney lacked the capacity to hire Mr. Eardley to file the Notice of Removal on her behalf, and therefore could not have hired him."

It was noted that Britney "had no right" to meet with legal counsel. Eardley filed a declaration, saying to bring Britney to court. He said she would "testify truthfully that she did authorise me to take action on her behalf and I did so." On a tape-recording of a phone call between Britney and Eardley, Britney stated, "I basically just want my life back."

Another declaration was filed by Eardley on the premise that Britney was being denied due process. "It is obvious that the conservatorship was planned well in advance of its implementation as a tool to influence the custody proceedings in the family law court and for other illicit purposes." He also made note that the last time Britney called him, her phone was taken away and the number was disconnected the very next day.
  

CREDIT: Getty Images

It has been stated that Britney's father Jamie has been verbally abusive towards her. Jacqueline Butcher remembers sitting in their home office one of the first days after Britney was released from the hospital. Lynne, Butcher and Britney were on the floor, Britney on her knees and Jamir was sitting at a desk. "Jamie said, 'Baby,' and I thought he was going to say, 'We love you, but you need help.' But what he said was, 'You're fat. Daddy's gonna get you on a diet and a trainer, and you're gonna get back in shape. You see that TV over there? You know what it's going to say in eight weeks? That's gonna be you on there, and they're gonna say, 'She's back.'"

During the weeks following, "he would get all in her face - spittle was flying - telling her she was a whore and a terrible mother." Britney was told she'd only be able to see her children if she cooperated. "Lynne was just like, 'Obey Daddy and they'll let you out," Butcher said.

During her documentary Britney: For the Record, Britney stated, "I never wanted to become one of those prisoner people. I always wanted to feel free, and get in my car and go and not let people make me feel like I had to stay at my home. I think that was always the part of me that kinda got me in trouble. I had let certain people into my life that were just bad people...and I really paid the consequences for that, big time. But I just feel like you do something wrong, and you learn from it, you move on. But it's, like, I'm having to pay for it for a really long time."

The photographer who worked as her director of content on the documentary, Gallery, said, "You know how you go for a hike, and get to the top of the mountain, and you have this moment of clarity? Britney was always at the bottom of the mountain, surrounded by security guards, all this chaos. We would have these talks, and she would always say, 'I want to get married again. I want to have a husband. I want to have more kids.'" At the time, no one believed this conservatorship would last a long time. It was then made permanent in October, 2008.

CREDIT: Gabe Ginsberg/FilmMagic

Around 2015, Britney's Instagram account turned from bland promotional images to a more culturally fascinating subject. Fans noticed the posts became weirder, yet more enjoyable and joyful. Low-resolution selfies, inspirational quotes, and more. Some images became cryptic, for instance, a photo of Mars with the caption, "Nothing's what it seems."

Later that year, Britney came forward saying she felt the conservatorship had become "an oppressive and controlling tool against her," and that "the system had too much control. Too, too much!" She felt "sick of being taken advantage of." A report written by a probate-court investigator stated there should be "a pathway to independence and the eventual termination of the conservatorship."

In December 2020, the conservatorship was extended until September 2021. Jamie's lawyers stated, "Britney knows that her daddy loves her." A movement called the #FreeBritney staged a thirty-day campaign, wanting attention to be brought to her case. Followers started supporting legislation in California that allowed the right to legal representation for conservatees.

On the hearing day in June, about a hundred and twenty devoted supporters arrived at the courthouse in support of Britney. They stood outside of the plaza listening to Britney's statement, which was streamed and broadcast over a speaker system. The crowd erupted in cheers when Britney stated that she "didn't feel like she owed her team anything, and that they need to be reminded they actually work for me."

Britney also stated that the conservatorship denied her reproductive rights. "I was told right now, in the conservatorship, I'm not able to get married or have a baby. I have an IUD inside of myself right now, so I don't get pregnant. I wanted to take the IUD out, so I could start trying to have another baby, but the so-called team won't let me go to the doctor to take it out, because they don't want me to have any more children."


CREDIT: Dave Hogan/Getty Images

Members of Britney's team believe further hearings will weaken her claims. God bless her, I felt sorry for her. But at the same time, don't be telling tall tales. Your problems, what was wrong with you, your shortcomings - don't keep trying to blame everyone else for it." It is so fucking irresponsible to say, 'Let her do whatever she wants to do.'"

Many of the revelations made during her hearing, she apparently wanted to speak out about for a long time, but was afraid to do it in public. "I thought people would make fun of me. Or laugh at me and say, 'She's lying. She's got everything. She's Britney Spears."

Britney Spears' lawyer Samuel Ingham recently resigned, and the star has stated she wants new representation. "SAMUEL D. INGHAM III hereby resigns as court-appointed counsel for BRITNEY JEAN SPEARS, conservatee, effective upon the appointment of new court-appointed counsel."

Britney's mother Lynne, spoke out after the resignation of Mr. Ingham, stating, "It is self-evident that before the Court addresses, for example, the termination of the conservatorship, [Britney Spears] must be allowed to consult with counsel of her choosing."

Britney then chose a lawyer by the name of Matthew Rosengart, who agreed to become Britney's new representation. "Britney has had multiple conversations with Matthew in recent days. He has been keeping close tabs n her case for a while now and felt that her testimony last month was very compelling."

Matthew has also worked for Ben Affleck, Steven Spielberg and Sean Penn.

Britney is continuing to speak out about how "this conservatorship has killed my dreams." 
 

CREDIT: buzzfeed.com

Britney recently posted an image of the words 'Take me as I am or kiss my ass eat shit and step on Legos' alongside a caption that read, "For those of you who choose to criticise my dancing videos...look I'm not gonna be performing on any stages anytime soon with my dad handling what I wear, say, do or think!!!! I've done that for the past 13 years... I'd much rather share videos YES from my living room instead of onstage in Vegas where some people were so far gone they couldn't even shake my hand and I ended up getting a contact high from weed all the time...which I didn't mind but it would have been nice to be able to go to the motherf***ing spa!!!!"

"And no I'm not gonna put on heavy makeup and try try try on stage again and not be able to do the real deal with remixes of my songs for years and begging to put my new music in my show or MY fans... so I quit!!!!"

The most recent win for Britney was the approval of her being able to hire her lawyer, to which she chose Matthew Rosengart. 

Britney has appealed to the judge that she would like to press charges against her father on the premise of "conservatorship abuse."

Britney even included her sister Jamie Lynn Spears in her Instagram statement. "I don't like that my sister showed up at an awards show and performed MY SONGS to remixes!!!!! My so-called support system hurt me deeply!!!! This conservatorship killed my dreams...so all I have is hope and hope is the only thing in this world that is very hard to kill...yet people still try!!!! I didn't like the way the documentaries bring up humiliating moments from the past...I'm way past all that and have been for a long time!!!! And for women who say it's weird the way I still have hope for fairytales... go f*** yourself!!!!!"

Britney's sister recently appeared in a video message to support her sister, "I don't care if she wants to run away to a rainforest and have zillion babies in the middle of nowhere... I have nothing to gain or lose either way."
    

CREDIT: John Shearer/WireImage

Britney continued in her Instagram statement saying, "As I said...hope is all I have right now...you're lucky I post anything at all...if you don't like what you see, unfollow me!!! People try to kill hope because hope is one of the most vulnerable and fragile things there is!!!! I'm gonna go read a motherf***ing fairytale right now!!!!"

"Psss if you don't want to see my precious ass dancing in my living room or it's not up to your standards... go read a f***ing book!!!!!"

Britney has also recently posted an image with the words, 'Never forget who ignored you when you needed them and who helped you before you even had to ask.' She captioned this calling out those who spoke out supporting her win in court, but failed to help her sooner.

 "There's nothing worse than when the people closest to you who never showed up for you post things in regard to your situation whatever it may be and speak righteously for support...there's nothing worse than that!!!! How dare the people you love the most say anything at all... did they even put a hand out to even lift me up at the TIME!!!??? How dare you make it public that NOW you CARE...did you put your hand out when I was drowning???? Again...NO. If you're reading this and you know who you are...and you actually have the nerve to say anything about my situation just to save face for yourself publicly!!! If you're gonna post something...Please stop with the righteous approach when you're so far from righteous it's not even funny..."

"If you're reading this today and you can relate...I'm sorry because I know what it's like. I send you my love!!!!"

Britney has called this conservatorship "f**king cruelty. If this isn't abuse, I don't know what is."

"I want to press charges against my father today. I want an investigation into my dad," the star said by phone in court, breaking down in tears.

Britney's attorney Matthew Rosengart has stated, "It is in best interest of the conservatee," relating to the request that Jamie Spears, her father, voluntarily step down as conservator.

"We will be moving promptly and aggressively for his removal. The question remains, why is he involved? He should step down voluntarily because that's what's in the best interest of the conservatee."

It has been stated by Vivian Thoreen, Jamie's attorney, that he will not be resigning.
   

CREDIT: muzyka.interia.pl

Many stars have come through showing support for the "...Baby, One More Time" singer. One of these stars is AJ McLean from The Backstreet Boys.

"My thoughts and my prayers are with her. I am 100 percent Team Britney. Back in the beginning of this whole conservatorship, when everything happened about 13 years ago, I could kind of empathise in that moment, maybe with her family, with how things transpired. But for it to go on this long I think is absolutely asinine. I think it's insane. I think it's completely brutal."

The part of Britney's hearing that shocked McLean the most was when Britney explained that she wasn't allowed to remove her IUD in order to have a baby. He stated that it was "physical abuse" and "grotesque."

AJ and Britney are 'pretty much neighbours' and constantly show up at the same shopping centre and little cupcake shop. AJ said the last time he saw Britney at the cupcake shop, "it broke my heart."

"When I last saw her, my wife asked me to go in to get some cupcakes for a birthday party for one of my daughter's friends. Went in, she was there, she looked right at me and I was like, 'Hey, it's AJ!' and she just kind of had this glass face. Like, she just didn't know who was there. It took her a minute. And then she realised it was me and we hugged and we talked for a brief moment. ut I could just see that this wasn't her, like, I'm not looking at the person I knew from years and years ago."

Britney not being able to benefit from the help AJ received due to his 20-year-battle with substance abuse, also unsettled him. 

"The fact that she cannot stay in contact with anyone from her fellowship, from when she was going to AA meetings, that is BS to me because that's the whole core of what we do in this program, is fellowship. We lean on each other, we look up to each other for support and, if somebody were to take that from me, it would really be difficult for me to stay sober, honest to God."

Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter sees parallels between AJ and Britney's situations, when team members in management overlook a star's well-being and don't have the right priorities.

"I think that kind of can also tie back into Britney's situation. You have labels and you have managers and you have people who are tugging at you because there's like this one moment that you gotta squeeze everything you can out of the artists, at the expense of the artists' health and wellness. And I think that at that point, the entire group, the four of us, we got together, and we said, 'You know what? Even though this is a multimillion-dollar tour, the biggest stadiums and arenas that we had ever been in at the time, it was like, 'Stop.' Everything had to stop at that point. And I think that's the one thing about our group is that we know each other, we see each other and there's a time when, look, all of this can go away in a second for us, and we're still going to have to be family and brothers to one another. And that's more important than business."

Another hearing for Britney's case has been scheduled for September 29th, 2021.

CREDIT: John Shearer/WireImage

 

Comments

Popular Posts